Groups | Search | Server Info | Keyboard shortcuts | Login | Register [http] [https] [nntp] [nntps]


Groups > linux.debian.maint.python > #13544 > unrolled thread

Moving forward with more Python 2 removal, plus upgrading to markupsafe 2.0, jinja2 3.0, werkzeug 2.0 and flask 2.0

Started byThomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org>
First post2021-09-18 15:10 +0200
Last post2021-09-20 09:30 +0200
Articles 3 — 2 participants

Back to article view | Back to linux.debian.maint.python


Contents

  Moving forward with more Python 2 removal, plus upgrading to  markupsafe 2.0, jinja2 3.0, werkzeug 2.0 and flask 2.0 Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> - 2021-09-18 15:10 +0200
    Re: Moving forward with more Python 2 removal, plus upgrading to  markupsafe 2.0, jinja2 3.0, werkzeug 2.0 and flask 2.0 Mattia Rizzolo <mattia@debian.org> - 2021-09-18 17:40 +0200
    Re: Moving forward with more Python 2 removal, plus upgrading to  markupsafe 2.0, jinja2 3.0, werkzeug 2.0 and flask 2.0 Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> - 2021-09-20 09:30 +0200

#13544 — Moving forward with more Python 2 removal, plus upgrading to markupsafe 2.0, jinja2 3.0, werkzeug 2.0 and flask 2.0

FromThomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org>
Date2021-09-18 15:10 +0200
SubjectMoving forward with more Python 2 removal, plus upgrading to markupsafe 2.0, jinja2 3.0, werkzeug 2.0 and flask 2.0
Message-ID<CYIgp-2iJ-7@gated-at.bofh.it>
Dear Python Team, Dear Piotr,

As I was packaging Cloudkitty (that is: OpenStack rating of resources,
typically used in a public cloud) for the next Xena release, I went into
this chain of dependency:

cloudkitty: needs flask 2.0
Flask 2.0: needs werkeug 2.0, jinja2 3.0
jinja2: needs markupsafe 2.0

The thing is, markupsafe 2.0 looks like incompatible with Python 2 (when
I removed Python 2 support in the package, it built fine).

I currently have updated markupsafe and jinja2 packages in my laptop,
(which IS removing Python 2 support). I'll soon have updates for the
other 2 (if I don't hit any blockers).

During the python BoF of the last Debconf, we decided to go ahead with
full removal of Python 2, so doing this looks like a move to the right
direction.

Is it fine for everyone (including Piotr, who's the only marked uploader
for these) if I upload these to Experimental right now (which is where I
am uploading OpenStack Xena), and in Unstable after the 8th of October
(when OpenStack Xena will be finally released)?

I'm also aware that the packages I mentioned above are high profile (ie:
used a lot in Debian), which is why I thought announcing my plan was a
good idea (also so that Piotr can tell his opinion).

Also Piotr, can I add myself as uploader for all of these?

Your thoughts?
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: I do believe that uploading to Experimental is harmless (when we're
not in freeze), so I may go ahead before getting a reply, and we can
decide what to do together.

[toc] | [next] | [standalone]


#13546

FromMattia Rizzolo <mattia@debian.org>
Date2021-09-18 17:40 +0200
Message-ID<CYKBA-3Al-5@gated-at.bofh.it>
In reply to#13544

[Multipart message — attachments visible in raw view] — view raw

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 03:02:01PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> During the python BoF of the last Debconf, we decided to go ahead with
> full removal of Python 2, so doing this looks like a move to the right
> direction.

Yes indeed.

> Is it fine for everyone (including Piotr, who's the only marked uploader
> for these) if I upload these to Experimental right now (which is where I
> am uploading OpenStack Xena), and in Unstable after the 8th of October
> (when OpenStack Xena will be finally released)?
> 
> I'm also aware that the packages I mentioned above are high profile (ie:
> used a lot in Debian), which is why I thought announcing my plan was a
> good idea (also so that Piotr can tell his opinion).

Sounds a sound plan to me, however please remember to check the
pseudo-excuses-experimental here before moving to unstable, to at least
fix whatever autopkgtest breaks before said breaking upload.
https://release.debian.org/britney/pseudo-excuses-experimental.html

That ought to prevent plenty of headaches we would otheriwse have.

-- 
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

GPG Key: 66AE 2B4A FCCF 3F52 DA18  4D18 4B04 3FCD B944 4540      .''`.
More about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :
Launchpad user: https://launchpad.net/~mapreri                  `. `'`
Debian QA page: https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=mattia  `-

[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]


#13555

FromThomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org>
Date2021-09-20 09:30 +0200
Message-ID<CZlUu-1jM-1@gated-at.bofh.it>
In reply to#13544
On 9/18/21 3:02 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Dear Python Team, Dear Piotr,
> 
> As I was packaging Cloudkitty (that is: OpenStack rating of resources,
> typically used in a public cloud) for the next Xena release, I went into
> this chain of dependency:
> 
> cloudkitty: needs flask 2.0
> Flask 2.0: needs werkeug 2.0, jinja2 3.0
> jinja2: needs markupsafe 2.0
> 
> The thing is, markupsafe 2.0 looks like incompatible with Python 2 (when
> I removed Python 2 support in the package, it built fine).
> 
> I currently have updated markupsafe and jinja2 packages in my laptop,
> (which IS removing Python 2 support). I'll soon have updates for the
> other 2 (if I don't hit any blockers).
> 
> During the python BoF of the last Debconf, we decided to go ahead with
> full removal of Python 2, so doing this looks like a move to the right
> direction.
> 
> Is it fine for everyone (including Piotr, who's the only marked uploader
> for these) if I upload these to Experimental right now (which is where I
> am uploading OpenStack Xena), and in Unstable after the 8th of October
> (when OpenStack Xena will be finally released)?
> 
> I'm also aware that the packages I mentioned above are high profile (ie:
> used a lot in Debian), which is why I thought announcing my plan was a
> good idea (also so that Piotr can tell his opinion).
> 
> Also Piotr, can I add myself as uploader for all of these?
> 
> Your thoughts?
> Cheers,
> 
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)
> 
> P.S: I do believe that uploading to Experimental is harmless (when we're
> not in freeze), so I may go ahead before getting a reply, and we can
> decide what to do together.
> 

FYI, I went ahead with the above, and uploaded to Experimental (and also
uploaded Falcon 3.0.1 too...). All went fine, however, I had to disable
a dozen unit tests in werkzeug. Help to fix this would be very much
appreciated.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

[toc] | [prev] | [standalone]


Back to top | Article view | linux.debian.maint.python


csiph-web