Groups | Search | Server Info | Keyboard shortcuts | Login | Register [http] [https] [nntp] [nntps]
Groups > comp.lang.javascript > #21141 > unrolled thread
| Started by | dhtml <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> |
|---|---|
| First post | 2013-09-01 13:49 -0700 |
| Last post | 2013-09-04 19:50 +0000 |
| Articles | 20 on this page of 81 — 18 participants |
Back to article view | Back to comp.lang.javascript
FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen dhtml <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> - 2013-09-01 13:49 -0700
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen Matt McDonald <matt@fortybelow.ca> - 2013-09-02 15:03 -0400
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> - 2013-09-02 21:51 +0200
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen dhtml <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> - 2013-09-05 20:06 -0700
[FAQ] Suggestions (was: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen) Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> - 2013-09-06 12:14 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions (was: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen) John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-07 15:44 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> - 2013-09-08 21:54 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> - 2013-09-09 02:20 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-09 10:55 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions dhtml <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> - 2013-09-09 13:53 -0700
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> - 2013-09-10 00:10 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-11 14:58 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> - 2013-09-10 00:30 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Dr J R Stockton <reply1300@merlyn.demon.co.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-11 19:28 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> - 2013-09-14 01:28 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Dr J R Stockton <reply1300@merlyn.demon.co.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-15 18:36 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Andrew Poulos <ap_prog@hotmail.com> - 2013-09-16 12:26 +1000
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Denis McMahon <denismfmcmahon@gmail.com> - 2013-09-16 08:19 +0000
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Andrew Poulos <ap_prog@hotmail.com> - 2013-09-16 22:52 +1000
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-16 16:00 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> - 2013-09-16 22:08 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Stefan Weiss <krewecherl@gmail.com> - 2013-09-16 23:23 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> - 2013-09-17 00:53 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Ben Bacarisse <ben.usenet@bsb.me.uk> - 2013-09-17 01:14 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-17 15:35 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-17 15:32 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> - 2013-09-18 01:12 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-18 10:12 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions "Evertjan." <exxjxw.hannivoort@inter.nl.net> - 2013-09-18 11:52 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-19 11:29 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions "Evertjan." <exxjxw.hannivoort@inter.nl.net> - 2013-09-19 13:44 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-20 11:39 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> - 2013-09-27 01:40 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Dr J R Stockton <reply1300@merlyn.demon.co.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-28 17:54 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Denis McMahon <denismfmcmahon@gmail.com> - 2013-09-29 01:04 +0000
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions dhtml <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> - 2013-09-28 21:03 -0700
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> - 2013-09-30 14:22 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-10-01 10:52 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> - 2013-10-02 01:39 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-10-02 15:18 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> - 2013-10-02 23:14 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> - 2013-10-03 09:54 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-10-03 15:50 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> - 2013-10-07 23:03 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Cezary Tomczyk <cezary.tomczyk@gmail.com> - 2013-10-02 19:01 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions dhtml <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> - 2013-10-06 10:45 -0700
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-10-06 20:14 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions dhtml <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> - 2013-10-07 12:50 -0700
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Denis McMahon <denismfmcmahon@gmail.com> - 2013-10-07 21:57 +0000
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> - 2013-10-07 22:43 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> - 2013-10-10 02:10 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Dr J R Stockton <reply1300@merlyn.demon.co.uk.invalid> - 2013-10-01 19:29 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> - 2013-10-02 01:52 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Swifty <steve.j.swift@gmail.com> - 2013-09-19 18:07 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions "Evertjan." <exxjxw.hannivoort@inter.nl.net> - 2013-09-19 21:23 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-20 11:48 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Gene Wirchenko <genew@telus.net> - 2013-09-20 12:24 -0700
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions "Evertjan." <exxjxw.hannivoort@inter.nl.net> - 2013-09-17 00:03 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Dr J R Stockton <reply1300@merlyn.demon.co.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-09 19:46 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions (was: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen) Dr J R Stockton <reply1300@merlyn.demon.co.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-07 20:11 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions (was: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen) Tim Streater <timstreater@greenbee.net> - 2013-09-07 23:59 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions (was: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen) "Evertjan." <exxjxw.hannivoort@inter.nl.net> - 2013-09-08 09:24 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> - 2013-09-08 22:01 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> - 2013-09-12 15:12 +0200
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Tim Streater <timstreater@greenbee.net> - 2013-09-12 14:33 +0100
Re: [FAQ] Suggestions Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> - 2013-09-12 15:43 +0200
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> - 2013-09-02 23:15 +0200
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen Dr J R Stockton <reply1300@merlyn.demon.co.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-02 19:02 +0100
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen dhtml <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> - 2013-09-05 20:05 -0700
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> - 2013-09-12 12:05 +0200
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi> - 2013-09-12 13:22 +0300
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> - 2013-09-12 15:29 +0200
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen Mike Duffy <md_002@videotron.ca> - 2013-09-12 10:43 -0400
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-12 16:19 +0100
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> - 2013-09-12 18:08 +0200
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-13 15:51 +0100
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen Dr J R Stockton <reply1300@merlyn.demon.co.uk.invalid> - 2013-09-13 20:32 +0100
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen Eric Bednarz <bednarz@fahr-zur-hoelle.org> - 2013-09-19 01:40 +0200
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen Stefan Weiss <krewecherl@gmail.com> - 2013-09-03 00:02 +0200
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen Stefan Weiss <krewecherl@gmail.com> - 2013-09-03 01:10 +0200
Re: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen Denis McMahon <denismfmcmahon@gmail.com> - 2013-09-04 19:50 +0000
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5 Next page →
| From | dhtml <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-01 13:49 -0700 |
| Subject | FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen |
| Message-ID | <36617530-5742-4755-999d-3e61695d5510@googlegroups.com> |
Hi Everyone - The FAQ has at least one orphaned page, some broken links, and is often down. http://jibbering.com/faq/ * Wrong link to Kangax' NFE article, * The notes page needs a link to the square brackets article: http://jibbering.com/faq/notes/square-brackets/ I'd like to bring back my old site, dhtmlkitchen.com, and put the FAQ on there. I'm right now posting on a borrowed computer that has no newsreader installed. I am trying to get a project together to pay for this: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dhtmlkitchen-ii/x/4553807 I have to get a bank account so that I can receive paypal payments:
[toc] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | Matt McDonald <matt@fortybelow.ca> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-02 15:03 -0400 |
| Message-ID | <alpine.DEB.2.02.1309021500440.3184@ubuntu.ubuntu-domain> |
| In reply to | #21141 |
On Sun, 1 Sep 2013, dhtml wrote: > The FAQ has at least one orphaned page, some broken links, and is > often down. > > * Wrong link to Kangax' NFE article, > * The notes page needs a link to the square brackets article: > http://jibbering.com/faq/notes/square-brackets/ Garrett *et al.*, my eyes and ears are available to push temporary changes to my copy[0] of the FAQ. [0]: http://www.fortybelow.ca/hosted/comp-lang-javascript/faq/
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-02 21:51 +0200 |
| Message-ID | <2365789.8IzCuWm59k@PointedEars.de> |
| In reply to | #21146 |
Matt McDonald wrote: > On Sun, 1 Sep 2013, dhtml wrote: >> The FAQ has at least one orphaned page, some broken links, and is >> often down. >> >> * Wrong link to Kangax' NFE article, >> * The notes page needs a link to the square brackets article: >> http://jibbering.com/faq/notes/square-brackets/ > > Garrett *et al.*, my eyes and ears are available to push temporary > changes to my copy[0] of the FAQ. > > [0]: http://www.fortybelow.ca/hosted/comp-lang-javascript/faq/ Why would you not help me with updating <http://PointedEars.de/faq> instead? -- PointedEars Twitter: @PointedEars2 Please do not Cc: me. / Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail.
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | dhtml <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-05 20:06 -0700 |
| Message-ID | <37437447-c968-41fc-956b-7077b26a9a84@googlegroups.com> |
| In reply to | #21147 |
On Monday, September 2, 2013 12:51:36 PM UTC-7, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote: > Matt McDonald wrote: > > > > > On Sun, 1 Sep 2013, dhtml wrote: > > >> The FAQ has at least one orphaned page, some broken links, and is > > >> often down. > > >> > > >> * Wrong link to Kangax' NFE article, > > >> * The notes page needs a link to the square brackets article: > > >> http://jibbering.com/faq/notes/square-brackets/ > > > > > > Garrett *et al.*, my eyes and ears are available to push temporary > > > changes to my copy[0] of the FAQ. > > > > > > [0]: http://www.fortybelow.ca/hosted/comp-lang-javascript/faq/ > > > > Why would you not help me with updating <http://PointedEars.de/faq> instead? > > Again, a broken link: http://yura.thinkweb2.com/named-function-expressions/ It's now on perfection kills website. And http://jibbering.com/faq/notes/square-brackets/ is not linked from the notes page: http://pointedears.de/scripts/faq/cljs/notes/ And the notes page link has been removed from the top of the FAQ itself.
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-06 12:14 +0200 |
| Subject | [FAQ] Suggestions (was: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen) |
| Message-ID | <1432633.0Ca1GCPGyj@PointedEars.de> |
| In reply to | #21171 |
dhtml wrote: > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote: >> Matt McDonald wrote: >> > On Sun, 1 Sep 2013, dhtml wrote: >> >> The FAQ has at least one orphaned page, some broken links, and is >> >> often down. >> >> >> >> * Wrong link to Kangax' NFE article, >> >> * The notes page needs a link to the square brackets article: >> >> http://jibbering.com/faq/notes/square-brackets/ >> > >> > Garrett *et al.*, my eyes and ears are available to push temporary >> > changes to my copy[0] of the FAQ. >> > >> > [0]: http://www.fortybelow.ca/hosted/comp-lang-javascript/faq/ >> >> Why would you not help me with updating <http://PointedEars.de/faq> >> instead? > > Again, a broken link: > http://yura.thinkweb2.com/named-function-expressions/ > > It's now on perfection kills website. To be fair, the link is broken *now*. Previously, as the Internet Archive Wayback Machine¹ tells me, Juriy ‘kangax’ Zaytsev was so clever as to set up a 302 redirect to <http://kangax.github.com/nfe/>, which in turn redirects to <http://kangax.github.io/nfe/> where the content is currently available (not on perfectionkills.com). (See also <http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/uri-manage> and various other tutorials.) However, the standing recommendation is to update URIs if possible as redirects are encountered, in order to improve user experience, to reduce problems for the site owner, and to ensure future access of information.) Thanks. Fixed. > And http://jibbering.com/faq/notes/square-brackets/ is not linked from the > notes page: http://pointedears.de/scripts/faq/cljs/notes/ Neither has it been referred from <http://jibbering.com/faq/notes/> as of 2010-10-08 CE. It does not make sense to refer to the old FAQ which is often inaccessible from a/the new FAQ, whose goal is to replace the old FAQ in order to fix that problem and other problems. Therefore, the new reference will be to <http://pointedears.de/scripts/faq/cljs/notes/square-brackets/> (I am working on an additional, shorter URI for Notes references). Please make a suggestion how (aside from the URI) you wish this section of the FAQ Notes to be referred (see below). > And the notes page link has been removed from the top of the FAQ itself. No, it is now right below the heading “Table of contents”, where it belongs. In general, and to all: If you have any suggestions to improve the FAQ for comp.lang.javascript, please - say *exactly* + *what* is wrong; + *where* it is wrong, and + *how* you would like it to be changed. Although I do revisions of the FAQ on my own, I do not consider it my job as FAQ maintainer/editor to find the borken/missing link, or to anticipate your wishes. - do all of the above *via e-mail to <cljs@PointedEars.de>*, as laid out in <news:2715826.m0UDekTA75@PointedEars.de> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.javascript/yvxh6sd5deU/OVlYGsRKIIYJ> (this was also referred from <https://twitter.com/PointedEars2/status/280138675659091968> and <https://twitter.com/PointedEars2/status/280140135931187200> following our agreement; you are among my Twitter followers and could have seen it) and in the FAQ itself: <http://PointedEars.de/scripts/faq/cljs/#makeSuggestion> I cannot read all postings in the newsgroup that may or may not pertain to the FAQ, and discussions on the FAQ in the newsgroup should be kept to a minimum in the first place. (Granted, the FAQENTRY method should be abolished then, and the corresponding sections and parts of sentences removed from the FAQ. OTOH, even you have not used the FAQENTRY method with your suggestions. This and Stefan Weiss’ comment tells me that it is unsuited anyway.) Thank you very much in advance. F'up2 poster _________ ¹ <http://archive.org/web/web.php> -- PointedEars, ed. Twitter: @PointedEars2 Please do not Cc: me. / Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail.
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-07 15:44 +0100 |
| Subject | Re: [FAQ] Suggestions (was: FAQ Problems, DHTML Kitchen) |
| Message-ID | <0vem29lf9knluljgsonls9qao0i5i5si20@4ax.com> |
| In reply to | #21173 |
On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 12:14:34 +0200, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> wrote: <snip> >In general, and to all: > >If you have any suggestions to improve the FAQ for comp.lang.javascript, >please > >- say *exactly* > > + *what* is wrong; > + *where* it is wrong, and > + *how* you would like it to be changed. > > Although I do revisions of the FAQ on my own, I do not consider it my job > as FAQ maintainer/editor to find the borken/missing link, or to anticipate > your wishes. > >- do all of the above *via e-mail to <cljs@PointedEars.de>*, <snip> > I cannot read all postings in the newsgroup that may or may not pertain to > the FAQ, and discussions on the FAQ in the newsgroup should be kept to > a minimum in the first place. <snip> E-mailing direct to the FAQ editor is reasonable for spelling corrections and minor clarifications. Suggested new topics and major changes to existing topics need to be discussed beforehand. In particular, this is needed when the author is not sure if it is worth adding a brand new topic or removing an old topic. The discussion needs to be done in this news group, not in some other messaging system. A draft of each non-trivial change needs to be displayed in this news group to allow people time to notice problems or voice objections before the FAQ is updated. At least 2 weeks should be allowed for this. John
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-08 21:54 +0200 |
| Subject | Re: [FAQ] Suggestions |
| Message-ID | <522cd5e7$0$9522$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arcor-online.net> |
| In reply to | #21180 |
John Harris wrote: > On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 12:14:34 +0200, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn > <PointedEars@web.de> wrote: > > > <snip> >> In general, and to all: >> >> If you have any suggestions to improve the FAQ for comp.lang.javascript, >> please >> >> - say *exactly* >> >> + *what* is wrong; >> + *where* it is wrong, and >> + *how* you would like it to be changed. >> >> Although I do revisions of the FAQ on my own, I do not consider it my job >> as FAQ maintainer/editor to find the borken/missing link, or to anticipate >> your wishes. >> >> - do all of the above *via e-mail to <cljs@PointedEars.de>*, > > <snip> >> I cannot read all postings in the newsgroup that may or may not pertain to >> the FAQ, and discussions on the FAQ in the newsgroup should be kept to >> a minimum in the first place. > <snip> > > E-mailing direct to the FAQ editor is reasonable for spelling > corrections and minor clarifications. > > Suggested new topics and major changes to existing topics need to be > discussed beforehand. In particular, this is needed when the author is > not sure if it is worth adding a brand new topic or removing an old > topic. The discussion needs to be done in this news group, not in some > other messaging system. In <news:2836357.Pd7zkTFD91@PointedEars.de> Thomas 'PointedEars' recently wrote: | However, although as I can see now I had committed myself to | considering “<FAQENTRY>” indeed, I would much prefer to consider | (such) suggestions only in FAQ threads that I would start, based on | suggestions received via e-mail. So apparently, Thomas doesn't want to take such discussions away from this newsgroup; instead he wants to streamline the process. After all, this might make it easier for him (and maybe others) to keep an overview of the proposals and the related discussion. > A draft of each non-trivial change needs to be displayed in this news > group to allow people time to notice problems or voice objections > before the FAQ is updated. At least 2 weeks should be allowed for > this. IMHO that is reasonable. -- Christoph M. Becker
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-09 02:20 +0200 |
| Subject | Re: [FAQ] Suggestions |
| Message-ID | <1424486.vk3N9R3sMC@PointedEars.de> |
| In reply to | #21208 |
Christoph Michael Becker wrote: > John Harris wrote: >> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote: >> <snip> >>> In general, and to all: >>> >>> If you have any suggestions to improve the FAQ for comp.lang.javascript, >>> please >>> >>> - say *exactly* >>> >>> + *what* is wrong; >>> + *where* it is wrong, and >>> + *how* you would like it to be changed. >>> >>> Although I do revisions of the FAQ on my own, I do not consider it my >>> job as FAQ maintainer/editor to find the borken/missing link, or to >>> anticipate your wishes. >>> >>> - do all of the above *via e-mail to <cljs@PointedEars.de>*, >> >> <snip> >>> I cannot read all postings in the newsgroup that may or may not pertain >>> to the FAQ, and discussions on the FAQ in the newsgroup should be kept >>> to a minimum in the first place. >> <snip> >> >> E-mailing direct to the FAQ editor is reasonable for spelling >> corrections and minor clarifications. >> >> Suggested new topics and major changes to existing topics need to be >> discussed beforehand. In particular, this is needed when the author is >> not sure if it is worth adding a brand new topic or removing an old >> topic. The discussion needs to be done in this news group, not in some >> other messaging system. > > In <news:2836357.Pd7zkTFD91@PointedEars.de> Thomas 'PointedEars' > recently wrote: > > | However, although as I can see now I had committed myself to > | considering “<FAQENTRY>” indeed, I would much prefer to consider > | (such) suggestions only in FAQ threads that I would start, based on > | suggestions received via e-mail. > > So apparently, Thomas doesn't want to take such discussions away from > this newsgroup; instead he wants to streamline the process. After all, > this might make it easier for him (and maybe others) to keep an overview > of the proposals and the related discussion. Yes, exactly. >> A draft of each non-trivial change needs to be displayed in this news >> group to allow people time to notice problems or voice objections >> before the FAQ is updated. At least 2 weeks should be allowed for >> this. > > IMHO that is reasonable. Which is why something of the sort was included in my original proposal of December 2012 (please see my previous posting for the pertinent references as they, rather surgically, had been snipped here *before*). Admittedly, my proposal was rather long; but this length IMHO was required to remove any possibilities for (further) misunderstandings at the time. -- PointedEars Twitter: @PointedEars2 Please do not Cc: me. / Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail.
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-09 10:55 +0100 |
| Subject | Re: [FAQ] Suggestions |
| Message-ID | <jm6r29d9hpaibv0hocqupgpnorjd8otc4t@4ax.com> |
| In reply to | #21208 |
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 21:54:39 +0200, Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> wrote: <snip> >In <news:2836357.Pd7zkTFD91@PointedEars.de> Thomas 'PointedEars' >recently wrote: > >| However, although as I can see now I had committed myself to >| considering “<FAQENTRY>” indeed, I would much prefer to consider >| (such) suggestions only in FAQ threads that I would start, based on >| suggestions received via e-mail. > >So apparently, Thomas doesn't want to take such discussions away from >this newsgroup; instead he wants to streamline the process. After all, >this might make it easier for him (and maybe others) to keep an overview >of the proposals and the related discussion. <snip> Thomas has also said that the editor's job is to edit, nothing else. There are several objections to asking for the editor to process all suggestions before they are seen in the news group : - It is not his/her job. - It is unnecessary bureaucracy. - Why delay discussion of a change suggestion just because the editor is on holiday or in hospital/jail. - What if the editor disapproves of a suggestion and fails to publish it for discussion. Or were you saying the editor should be sent a note saying the discussion has started ? Once a consensus has been reached then someone must volunteer to send the agreed change to the editor. John
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | dhtml <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-09 13:53 -0700 |
| Subject | Re: [FAQ] Suggestions |
| Message-ID | <5640debc-f3c1-4175-882f-90e4b125ee70@googlegroups.com> |
| In reply to | #21225 |
On Monday, September 9, 2013 2:55:15 AM UTC-7, John Harris wrote: > On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 21:54:39 +0200, Christoph Michael Becker > > <cmbecker69@arcor.de> wrote: > > > > > > <snip> > > >In <news:2836357.Pd7zkTFD91@PointedEars.de> Thomas 'PointedEars' > > >recently wrote: > > > > > >| However, although as I can see now I had committed myself to > > >| considering “<FAQENTRY>” indeed, I would much prefer to consider > > >| (such) suggestions only in FAQ threads that I would start, based on > > >| suggestions received via e-mail. > > > > > >So apparently, Thomas doesn't want to take such discussions away from > > >this newsgroup; instead he wants to streamline the process. After all, > > >this might make it easier for him (and maybe others) to keep an overview > > >of the proposals and the related discussion. > > <snip> > > > > Thomas has also said that the editor's job is to edit, nothing else. > > There are several objections to asking for the editor to process all > > suggestions before they are seen in the news group : > > - It is not his/her job. > > - It is unnecessary bureaucracy. > > - Why delay discussion of a change suggestion just because the editor > > is on holiday or in hospital/jail. > > - What if the editor disapproves of a suggestion and fails to publish > > it for discussion. > > > > Or were you saying the editor should be sent a note saying the > > discussion has started ? > > > > Once a consensus has been reached then someone must volunteer to send > > the agreed change to the editor. > > This one needs work: <FAQENTRY> * 10.12 How do I modify the current browser window? Browsers default security environment limits modification to the current browser window. Methods such as window.resizeTo or window.moveTo are disabled by default in some browsers. It is possible to suggest chrome changes in a window.open, however window.open where it is not disabled, will also cause usability problems. http://pointedears.de/scripts/faq/cljs/#modifyChrome https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=689974 http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/201008/please_dont_resize_my_browser_window/ resizeTo firefox
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-10 00:10 +0200 |
| Subject | Re: [FAQ] Suggestions |
| Message-ID | <3127400.sy8X7u5QuC@PointedEars.de> |
| In reply to | #21234 |
dhtml wrote:
> [Full quote]
Please don't.
> This one needs work:
^^^^^^^^^^
> <FAQENTRY>
>
> * 10.12 How do I modify the current browser window?
>
> Browsers default security environment limits modification to the current
> browser window. Methods such as window.resizeTo or window.moveTo are
> disabled by default in some browsers.
>
> It is possible to suggest chrome changes in a window.open, however
> window.open where it is not disabled, will also cause usability problems.
>
> http://pointedears.de/scripts/faq/cljs/#modifyChrome
>
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=689974
>
>
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/201008/please_dont_resize_my_browser_window/
> resizeTo firefox
Pray tell, which part of
| If you have any suggestions to improve the FAQ for comp.lang.javascript,
| please
|
| - say *exactly*
|
| + *what* is wrong;
| + *where* it is wrong, and
| + *how* you would like it to be changed.
|
| Although I do revisions of the FAQ on my own, I do not consider it my
| job as FAQ maintainer/editor to find the borken/missing link, or to
| anticipate your wishes.
did you not understand?
--
PointedEars
Twitter: @PointedEars2
Please do not Cc: me. / Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail.
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-11 14:58 +0100 |
| Subject | Re: [FAQ] Suggestions |
| Message-ID | <vjt039h29lgp7jnrmc1hdbtdgfbumoa3ei@4ax.com> |
| In reply to | #21237 |
On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 00:10:28 +0200, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars@web.de> wrote: <snip> >Pray tell, which part of It looks as though someone has forgotten that the rule ... >| If you have any suggestions to improve the FAQ for comp.lang.javascript, >| please >| >| - say *exactly* >| >| + *what* is wrong; >| + *where* it is wrong, and >| + *how* you would like it to be changed. >| >| Although I do revisions of the FAQ on my own, I do not consider it my >| job as FAQ maintainer/editor to find the borken/missing link, or to >| anticipate your wishes. ... is for handing over completed alterations to the editor. >did you not understand? It is *not* the rule for starting a discussion in the news group. John
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-10 00:30 +0200 |
| Subject | Re: [FAQ] Suggestions |
| Message-ID | <522e4bdc$0$9525$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arcor-online.net> |
| In reply to | #21225 |
John Harris wrote: > On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 21:54:39 +0200, Christoph Michael Becker > <cmbecker69@arcor.de> wrote: > > > <snip> >> In <news:2836357.Pd7zkTFD91@PointedEars.de> Thomas 'PointedEars' >> recently wrote: >> >> | However, although as I can see now I had committed myself to >> | considering “<FAQENTRY>” indeed, I would much prefer to consider >> | (such) suggestions only in FAQ threads that I would start, based on >> | suggestions received via e-mail. >> >> So apparently, Thomas doesn't want to take such discussions away from >> this newsgroup; instead he wants to streamline the process. After all, >> this might make it easier for him (and maybe others) to keep an overview >> of the proposals and the related discussion. > <snip> > > Thomas has also said that the editor's job is to edit, nothing else. > There are several objections to asking for the editor to process all > suggestions before they are seen in the news group : > - It is not his/her job. > - It is unnecessary bureaucracy. > - Why delay discussion of a change suggestion just because the editor > is on holiday or in hospital/jail. > - What if the editor disapproves of a suggestion and fails to publish > it for discussion. > > Or were you saying the editor should be sent a note saying the > discussion has started ? > > Once a consensus has been reached then someone must volunteer to send > the agreed change to the editor. Well, we have to consider that it is quite likely, that the group won't reach consesus in many cases (if any). So, IMHO, we need a maintainer, not merely an editor--unless we want to keep the FAQ as it is. You may rememeber or reread Thomas' suggestions on his role of being the FAQ maintainer from last December[1]. Why don't we give this an unbureaucratic try? Thomas' has already set up a copy of the FAQ and made some minor corrections. We could start right away. You might send an email to Thomas about a suggestion for the FAQ (say, about attribution lines or posting via Google Groups). Then we could discuss the issue and see the outcome in the FAQ. If it turns out that it does not work well for whatever reason, there's still time to look for another maintainer and/or procedure. However, I am convinced that Thomas is well aware, that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". :) [1] <news:2715826.m0UDekTA75@PointedEars.de> -- Christoph M. Becker
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | Dr J R Stockton <reply1300@merlyn.demon.co.uk.invalid> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-11 19:28 +0100 |
| Subject | Re: [FAQ] Suggestions |
| Message-ID | <X5CzlqNIZLMSFwDs@invalid.uk.co.demon.merlyn.invalid> |
| In reply to | #21242 |
In comp.lang.javascript message <522e4bdc$0$9525$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arc or-online.net>, Tue, 10 Sep 2013 00:30:51, Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> posted: > >Why don't we give this an unbureaucratic try? Thomas' has already set >up a copy of the FAQ and made some minor corrections. We could start >right away. You might send an email to Thomas about a suggestion for >the FAQ (say, about attribution lines or posting via Google Groups). >Then we could discuss the issue and see the outcome in the FAQ. > >If it turns out that it does not work well for whatever reason, there's >still time to look for another maintainer and/or procedure. Do you really believe that it will be possible to release the FAQ from his claws and pack him off to Doorn when he proves intolerable? Have you actually read the current /echt/ FAQ to the end? -- (c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. E-mail, see Home Page. Turnpike v6.05. Website <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms PAS EXE etc. : <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/programs/> - see in 00index.htm Dates - miscdate.htm estrdate.htm js-dates.htm pas-time.htm critdate.htm etc.
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-14 01:28 +0200 |
| Subject | Re: [FAQ] Suggestions |
| Message-ID | <52339f49$0$6556$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net> |
| In reply to | #21272 |
Dr J R Stockton wrote: > In comp.lang.javascript message <522e4bdc$0$9525$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arc > or-online.net>, Tue, 10 Sep 2013 00:30:51, Christoph Michael Becker > <cmbecker69@arcor.de> posted: > >> >> Why don't we give this an unbureaucratic try? Thomas' has already set >> up a copy of the FAQ and made some minor corrections. We could start >> right away. You might send an email to Thomas about a suggestion for >> the FAQ (say, about attribution lines or posting via Google Groups). >> Then we could discuss the issue and see the outcome in the FAQ. >> >> If it turns out that it does not work well for whatever reason, there's >> still time to look for another maintainer and/or procedure. > > > Do you really believe that it will be possible to release the FAQ from > his claws and pack him off to Doorn when he proves intolerable? Actually, I firmly believe that this will not be necessary. > Have you actually read the current /echt/ FAQ to the end? I assume you're referring to section 14.2 "How do I make a suggestion?"[1]. I had read that before. However, I found it interesting to read todays automated FAQ post[2]. It seems to me that a consolidation is overdue to avoid confusion for newcomers. [1] <http://jibbering.com/faq/#makeSuggestion> [2] <news:523398f7$0$297$14726298@news.sunsite.dk> -- Christoph M. Becker
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | Dr J R Stockton <reply1300@merlyn.demon.co.uk.invalid> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-15 18:36 +0100 |
| Subject | Re: [FAQ] Suggestions |
| Message-ID | <E$$X0BF5AfNSFwoA@invalid.uk.co.demon.merlyn.invalid> |
| In reply to | #21334 |
In comp.lang.javascript message <52339f49$0$6556$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arc or-online.net>, Sat, 14 Sep 2013 01:28:42, Christoph Michael Becker <cmbecker69@arcor.de> posted: >Dr J R Stockton wrote: > >> In comp.lang.javascript message <522e4bdc$0$9525$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arc >> or-online.net>, Tue, 10 Sep 2013 00:30:51, Christoph Michael Becker >> <cmbecker69@arcor.de> posted: >> >>> >>> Why don't we give this an unbureaucratic try? Thomas' has already set >>> up a copy of the FAQ and made some minor corrections. We could start >>> right away. You might send an email to Thomas about a suggestion for >>> the FAQ (say, about attribution lines or posting via Google Groups). >>> Then we could discuss the issue and see the outcome in the FAQ. >>> >>> If it turns out that it does not work well for whatever reason, there's >>> still time to look for another maintainer and/or procedure. >> >> >> Do you really believe that it will be possible to release the FAQ from >> his claws and pack him off to Doorn when he proves intolerable? > >Actually, I firmly believe that this will not be necessary. That does not answer the carefully-chosen question. >> Have you actually read the current /echt/ FAQ to the end? > >I assume you're referring to section 14.2 "How do I make a >suggestion?"[1]. Section 14.2 is indeed at the end; and the FAQ is at Jibbering. > I had read that before. However, I found it >interesting to read todays automated FAQ post[2]. It seems to me that a >consolidation is overdue to avoid confusion for newcomers. There were, IIRC, two reasons for the daily FAQ part post : (1) To provide a link, mainly for incomers, to the FAQ. (2) To incite discussion of a section, perhaps leading to update. Since there is no update, the second part is scarcely useful. Given the present volume of posts, the regular posting should be reduced to a weekly fixed-subject article containing, approximately, the first sentence of section 1 and the body of section 14.2. -- (c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. For Mail, see Home Page. Turnpike, WinXP. Web <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQ-type topics, acronyms, and links. Command-prompt MiniTrue is useful for viewing/searching/altering files. Free, DOS/Win/UNIX now 2.0.6; see my <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pc-links.htm>.
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | Andrew Poulos <ap_prog@hotmail.com> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-16 12:26 +1000 |
| Subject | Re: [FAQ] Suggestions |
| Message-ID | <XdKdnVVWaecI8avPnZ2dnUVZ_rWdnZ2d@westnet.com.au> |
| In reply to | #21356 |
On 16/09/2013 3:36 AM, Dr J R Stockton wrote: > In comp.lang.javascript message <52339f49$0$6556$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arc > or-online.net>, Sat, 14 Sep 2013 01:28:42, Christoph Michael Becker > <cmbecker69@arcor.de> posted: > >> Dr J R Stockton wrote: >> >>> In comp.lang.javascript message <522e4bdc$0$9525$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arc >>> or-online.net>, Tue, 10 Sep 2013 00:30:51, Christoph Michael Becker >>> <cmbecker69@arcor.de> posted: >>> >>>> >>>> Why don't we give this an unbureaucratic try? Thomas' has already set >>>> up a copy of the FAQ and made some minor corrections. We could start >>>> right away. You might send an email to Thomas about a suggestion for >>>> the FAQ (say, about attribution lines or posting via Google Groups). >>>> Then we could discuss the issue and see the outcome in the FAQ. >>>> >>>> If it turns out that it does not work well for whatever reason, there's >>>> still time to look for another maintainer and/or procedure. >>> >>> >>> Do you really believe that it will be possible to release the FAQ from >>> his claws and pack him off to Doorn when he proves intolerable? >> >> Actually, I firmly believe that this will not be necessary. > > That does not answer the carefully-chosen question. Why do take any and every opportunity to insult PE (irrespective of how offensive many of your remarks are viewed by others)? IMO PE is a very good choice for a FAQ maintainer. Andrew Poulos
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | Denis McMahon <denismfmcmahon@gmail.com> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-16 08:19 +0000 |
| Subject | Re: [FAQ] Suggestions |
| Message-ID | <l16eve$nf9$1@dont-email.me> |
| In reply to | #21358 |
On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:26:53 +1000, Andrew Poulos wrote: > Why do take any and every opportunity to insult PE (irrespective of how > offensive many of your remarks are viewed by others)? > > IMO PE is a very good choice for a FAQ maintainer. In my opinion, one of the most important characteristics for a FAQ maintainer is a willingness to abide by the collective decision of the group for which they maintain the FAQ, even if they disagree with that decision. T'pe'L has never shown the slightest willingness to accept, regardless of how big the majority opposing his position is, that his position might not actually be the only correct one. This and this alone causes me to have serious reservations about his suitability as a FAQ maintainer, because I can not conceive any possibility of him including in the FAQ something that he thinks is "wrong", even if every other user of the group thought it was "right". It is my concern that a FAQ maintained by T'pe'L would over time be modified to only contain entries that were correct according to the T'pe'L worldview of javascript, and that worldview has many times in the past been demonstrably at variance with the majority viewpoint of group users. Unless and until T'pe'L is able to convince the group users that he will be willing to abide by the group consensus even when this conflicts with his own "one true worldview" in relation to javascript matters, he will not in my belief be a viable candidate for FAQ maintainer. Given the number of group users who seem to have him on ignore as a result of their previous interactions with him either in the group or elsewhere, I think his ability to convince the users of his suitability now is going to be somewhat difficult. -- Denis McMahon - denismfmcmahon@gmail.com
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | Andrew Poulos <ap_prog@hotmail.com> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-16 22:52 +1000 |
| Subject | Re: [FAQ] Suggestions |
| Message-ID | <JLadnUMdQKeGYqvPnZ2dnUVZ_j2dnZ2d@westnet.com.au> |
| In reply to | #21359 |
On 16/09/2013 6:19 PM, Denis McMahon wrote: > On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:26:53 +1000, Andrew Poulos wrote: > >> Why do take any and every opportunity to insult PE (irrespective of how >> offensive many of your remarks are viewed by others)? >> >> IMO PE is a very good choice for a FAQ maintainer. > > In my opinion, one of the most important characteristics for a FAQ > maintainer is a willingness to abide by the collective decision of the > group for which they maintain the FAQ, even if they disagree with that > decision. To my knowledge, the group has yet to make a collective decision. > T'pe'L has never shown the slightest willingness to accept, regardless of > how big the majority opposing his position is, that his position might > not actually be the only correct one. PE has acknowledged errors when he has made them. > This and this alone causes me to have serious reservations about his > suitability as a FAQ maintainer, because I can not conceive any > possibility of him including in the FAQ something that he thinks is > "wrong", even if every other user of the group thought it was "right". There is "correct" and there is "strictly correct" and PE has made his preference clear but I wouldn't claim that as a failing. > It is my concern that a FAQ maintained by T'pe'L would over time be > modified to only contain entries that were correct according to the > T'pe'L worldview of javascript, and that worldview has many times in the > past been demonstrably at variance with the majority viewpoint of group > users. I've learnt not to worry about things that will (probably) never happen. > Unless and until T'pe'L is able to convince the group users that he will > be willing to abide by the group consensus even when this conflicts with > his own "one true worldview" in relation to javascript matters, he will > not in my belief be a viable candidate for FAQ maintainer. To my knowledge, the group has yet to reach consensus on anything. > Given the number of group users who seem to have him on ignore as a > result of their previous interactions with him either in the group or > elsewhere, I think his ability to convince the users of his suitability > now is going to be somewhat difficult. Still that doesn't negate his knowledge of the subject of the FAQ. I for one will not be judging the quality/value of the FAQ based on whatever someone may think of the maintainer. Andrew Poulos
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
| From | John Harris <niam@jghnorth.org.uk.invalid> |
|---|---|
| Date | 2013-09-16 16:00 +0100 |
| Subject | Re: [FAQ] Suggestions |
| Message-ID | <g77e399o9vqj41ogci7ok9s6qcipq4cmbn@4ax.com> |
| In reply to | #21360 |
On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 22:52:02 +1000, Andrew Poulos <ap_prog@hotmail.com> wrote: <snip> (n.b "PE" is Thomas Lahn) >PE has acknowledged errors when he has made them. <snip> All right, we'll believe you. Let's try a little experiment. Here is a truth that has surprised some people in the past : The *only* thing in ECMA 262 that stops a = newb(); being parsed the same as a = new b(); is the second sentence in section 7 which goes : "The source text is scanned from left to right, repeatedly taking the longest possible sequence of characters as the next input element." John
[toc] | [prev] | [next] | [standalone]
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5 Next page →
Back to top | Article view | comp.lang.javascript
csiph-web