Groups | Search | Server Info | Keyboard shortcuts | Login | Register [http] [https] [nntp] [nntps]


Groups > nm.general > #2414

Alec Baldwin request to drop Rust manslaughter case denied

From useapen <yourdime@outlook.com>
Newsgroups nm.general, alt.true-crime, talk.politics.guns, alt.gossip.celebrities, alt.fan.rush-limbaugh, sac.politics
Subject Alec Baldwin request to drop Rust manslaughter case denied
Date 2024-05-25 08:07 +0000
Organization A noiseless patient Spider
Message-ID <XnsB17DB658404ABX@135.181.20.170> (permalink)

Cross-posted to 6 groups.

Show all headers | View raw


A US judge has denied a motion by Alec Baldwin to dismiss an involuntary 
manslaughter charge over a deadly film set shooting in 2021.

Halyna Hutchins, 42, was shot with a gun Mr Baldwin was using during a 
rehearsal on the set of Rust, a Western being filmed in New Mexico.

Director Joel Souza was also wounded in the incident.

Mr Baldwin's is scheduled to stand trial in July.

Mr Baldwin has maintained he did not pull the trigger, and only drew back 
the hammer of the pistol.

He has also argued he is not at fault for Ms Hutchins' death because he 
did not know the weapon contained live rounds and because no live 
ammunition was supposed to be on set.

In April, the weapons handler on the set, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, was 
sentenced to 18 months in prison. She appealed the conviction last week.

Mr Baldwin, 66, was indicted in January by a grand jury which brought the 
fresh charge of involuntary manslaughter after prosecutors said there was 
new forensic evidence. He pleaded not guilty.

Similar charges against the Emmy award-winning actor were dropped last 
year, just two weeks before a criminal trial against him was due to begin.

Attorneys for Mr Baldwin filed to dismiss the case earlier this month, 
accusing prosecutors of "unethical disparagement" and of "violating nearly 
every rule in the book" to secure a grand jury indictment against the 
actor.

At a virtual hearing on 17 May, Alex Spiro and Luke Nikas made their case 
before New Mexico District Court Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer.

"This is a case involving an accident at the very outskirts of criminal 
law," Mr Spiro said.

He noted that the charges had previously been dropped before special 
prosecutors for the state brought them back, claiming they wanted to 
"humble" Mr Baldwin.

In a Friday evening decision, Judge Sommer denied the request, dismissing 
the arguments that the grand jury process was prejudiced against the 
actor.

In a statement, Mr Baldwin's lawyers said: “We look forward to our day in 
court.”

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c999l2npp4eo

Back to nm.general | Previous | Next | Find similar


Thread

Alec Baldwin request to drop Rust manslaughter case denied useapen <yourdime@outlook.com> - 2024-05-25 08:07 +0000

csiph-web