Path: csiph.com!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed8.news.xs4all.nl!bofh.it!news.nic.it!robomod From: Thomas Goirand Newsgroups: linux.debian.maint.python Subject: Moving forward with more Python 2 removal, plus upgrading to markupsafe 2.0, jinja2 3.0, werkzeug 2.0 and flask 2.0 Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 15:10:01 +0200 Message-ID: X-Mailbox-Line: From debian-python-request@lists.debian.org Sat Sep 18 13:02:21 2021 Old-Return-Path: X-Amavis-Spam-Status: No, score=-7 tagged_above=-10000 required=5.3 tests=[BAYES_00=-2, LDO_WHITELIST=-5] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no X-Policyd-Weight: using cached result; rate: -3.5 Organization: Debian User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/78.14.0 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 Content-Language: en-US Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable X-Mailing-List: archive/latest/19340 List-ID: List-URL: List-Archive: https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/42d57259-e9e7-0c91-7a09-e15201cca244@debian.org Approved: robomod@news.nic.it Lines: 40 Sender: robomod@news.nic.it X-Original-Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 15:02:01 +0200 X-Original-Message-ID: <42d57259-e9e7-0c91-7a09-e15201cca244@debian.org> Xref: csiph.com linux.debian.maint.python:13544 Dear Python Team, Dear Piotr, As I was packaging Cloudkitty (that is: OpenStack rating of resources, typically used in a public cloud) for the next Xena release, I went into this chain of dependency: cloudkitty: needs flask 2.0 Flask 2.0: needs werkeug 2.0, jinja2 3.0 jinja2: needs markupsafe 2.0 The thing is, markupsafe 2.0 looks like incompatible with Python 2 (when I removed Python 2 support in the package, it built fine). I currently have updated markupsafe and jinja2 packages in my laptop, (which IS removing Python 2 support). I'll soon have updates for the other 2 (if I don't hit any blockers). During the python BoF of the last Debconf, we decided to go ahead with full removal of Python 2, so doing this looks like a move to the right direction. Is it fine for everyone (including Piotr, who's the only marked uploader for these) if I upload these to Experimental right now (which is where I am uploading OpenStack Xena), and in Unstable after the 8th of October (when OpenStack Xena will be finally released)? I'm also aware that the packages I mentioned above are high profile (ie: used a lot in Debian), which is why I thought announcing my plan was a good idea (also so that Piotr can tell his opinion). Also Piotr, can I add myself as uploader for all of these? Your thoughts? Cheers, Thomas Goirand (zigo) P.S: I do believe that uploading to Experimental is harmless (when we're not in freeze), so I may go ahead before getting a reply, and we can decide what to do together.